I make this recipe often for parties because Mac & cheese is a dish that everyone loves. This version has great flavor and texture. It works well as side dish or even as a main course with a big salad. The best part is that it can be prepped ahead and then combined in a slow cooker with very little effort. Enjoy!
Mise en place
6 cups pasta, uncooked (about 1.5 lbs)
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups milk (1 pint = 16 oz)
1 cup heavy cream (1/2 pint = 8 oz)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 5 minutes
- Reserve a coffee mug full of pasta water right before you drain it.
- Drain the pasta and place in the slow cooker. You can also store it in the fridge at this point for later assembly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot and stir until well combined.
- Start the crock pot on high for about 30 minutes. Then turn it to low and cook until melted through), stirring every 15 min or so.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to taste
- Add a splash of the reserved pasta water if it seems a little dry