It was 95 degrees outside, sunny, and humid. The air was heavy and the smell of sunblock and a fresh cut lawn filled our lungs. Thankfully, our friends have a gorgeous pool and generous hearts, and offered to host a a BBQ. I agreed to bring dessert and on a hot and humid day I wasn’t about to turn the oven on.
You know those friends you’ve had since grade school that you don’t see as often as you’d like, but when you do get together you pick-up right where you left off? Friends that don’t take themselves too seriously, make you laugh, and have a character that you admire and respect? That’s what we have in Andrea and Grettie and their husbands and kids are equally as genuine. Pat and I always look forward to getting together with them and what makes this group especially fun is that food and drinks are always a top priority when we get together.
…Which brings me back to the dessert I agreed to bring. Ice cream fit the bill for a hot and humid day and this recipe is beyond simple but has tremendous flavor depth and an incredibly creamy texture that make it seem as though I spent a day churning it by hand. I topped it with some berries and since the grill was already hot I charred a few hunks of angel food cake to serve alongside.
Mise en place
- 1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 pint (2 cups) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Pinch of salt
- Slice the vanilla bean lenghthwise and scrape the seeds into a mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, cream and salt to the same bowl.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip until soft peaks form
- Transfer to a freezer safe dish and cover.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or over night
Enjoy and stay cool this Summer!