I am trying to redeem myself after all of my unhealthy posts (ah-hem…monster cookies, peanut butter mousse, carrot cake) Clearly I have a wicked sweet tooth, but in my defense much of what I make are gifts for others.
This recipe is nothing new or inventive, however, it was easy to make as I had everything in my pantry/fridge. It is a healthful option to traditional Chili and surprisingly satisfying. I was also able to bring the left-overs to work for lunch the next day.
This should serve about 2 – 4 people
Mise en place
1 – 2 cans of black beans (or pinto or kidney, whatever you have), drained & rinsed
2 cans of diced tomato, do not drain
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T.+ chili powder
1 t.+ cumin
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
3/4 can frozen corn (fill your empty bean can with the corn)
1/2 can water (fill your empty tomato can with water)
Olive oil – enough to coat the pan
S/P to taste
Sour cream and shredded cheese to garnish – optional
- In a large sauce pan saute the onion in oil until soft, about 4 min.
- add the garlic and saute for 1 minute
- add the chili powder, cumin, red pepper and saute another minute
- Add the beans, tomato, water and corn. Season with s/p to taste
- Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with some lite sour cream and 2% milk shredded cheddar.