What would I do without eggs? Probably one of the most important ingredients in my kitchen. Whip the whites for meringue, add yolks to make custard, used for leavening in cakes and cookies, add richness to brioche…just to name a few. To top it all of they are loaded with protein and provide a great meal any time of day.
I had about 1/2 a dozen in my fridge that I needed to use up so I decided to boil them yesterday morning before I went to work (while making my husbands bagel). I used them that night to make a quick egg salad and we had sandwiches and a mixed green salad for dinner. glamorous, no…easy, delicious, inexpensive and healthfull…yes!
This is how I make, in my opinion, the perfect boiled egg…
- Place as many eggs as you like in a pot
- fill with enough cold water to cover the eggs
- Bring the water to a boil
- Once the water is boiling, cover the pot and remove from the heat
- Let them stand, covered, for 8 minutes (set a timer)
- After 8 minutes submerge the eggs in an ice bath and cool for about 5 minutes.
- peel immediately or dry them and keep in the fridge.