If something’s not broken, why would one try to fix it? The Rice Crispy Treat’s a far cry from being broken and quite honestly, it seems impossible to make it better. But dare I say, this version is better than the original?
Refining a classic recipe is a great opportunity to reinvigorate flavors and make something old, new again. A few extra steps spent browning the butter and toasting the cereal send this classic treat over the top.
Just look at that stretch!!!! The marshmallow to cereal ratio is key here.
Like a great magic trick, watch these chewy delights disappear in the blink of an eye. Bring these and you’ll be the most popular one at the party.
Here’s a look at how this humble treat comes together…
Working in two batches, toast the cereal in a pan. You’ll need to stir often to insure even browning. I’ve tried toasting the cereal in the broiler but it resulted in a blackened layer on top with an under side void of color. I find browning in a pan works best.
See the difference in color? Toasting imparts additional flavor depth and gives the cereal extra crunch. It’s a fantastic contrast in texture with the gooey marshmallows.
You’ll need to take the pan off the heat after the butter is browned. That said, use your heaviest bottomed pan to brown the butter. The heavier the pan, the better and it will hold the heat and continue to melt the marshmallows.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the marshmallows. Continue to stir until it’s all melted.
Add the toasted cereal and 1/4 heaping teaspoon of kosher/sea salt and mix.
Press the gooey web into your lined pan and sprinkle with additional sea salt.
Allow the bars to cool and then cut into squares.
Easy, right? Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Makes 16 bars
Mise En Place
- 8″ x 8″ x 2″ square pan, lined w/ parchment and sprayed with oil or butter
- 5 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 10oz. bag of marshmallows
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon of kosher/sea salt
- More flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top
- Prep your 8″ pan
- Working in two batches, toast the cereal in a pan on the stove top. Apply medium heat and stir often. You’re looking for a caramel brown color but not too dark. Set aside.
- Place your heavy dutch oven pan over medium heat and brown the butter. Keep an eye on it and stir often. The butter won’t do much for a while, then all of the sudden it will vigorously bubble, and in the blink of an eye it turns golden.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sir in the marshmallows until all melted.
- Add the heaping 1/4 teaspoon of kosher/sea salt
- Fold in the toasted cereal and mix until combined
- Press into the prepared pan and sprinkle some additional flaky salt on top.
- Allow the pan to cool, cut into squares and watch them disappear!
2 thoughts on “Brown Butter & Sea Salt Toasted Crispies”
I didn’t think Rice Krispey treats could be improved until I tried Ann’s Brown Butter and Sea Salt Toasted Crispies. Pure enjoyment! Also, impossible to eat in moderation :)
Thank you, Andrea!