I love good cole slaw. I remember going to dinner on Sundays at my Great Aunt Mary’s and she would always make cole slaw. While March is living up to its “in like a lion” reputation, an impromptu dinner tonight for which the host made ribs, proved to be a welcome glimpse of summer on this miserable spring evening. I brought this cole slaw to serve with the ribs.
I thought this recipe would be not only perfect for a summer bbq but also appropriate to serve with a corned beef sandwich on this fast approaching St. Patrick’s Day!!!!
Mise en place
1 head of green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 c. mayo
3 Tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon finely grated white onion (I used a micro-planer)
S/P to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, vinegar, mayo, sour cream, seasoning, onion.
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage and carrot
- add the dressing and mix to combine.
- Adjust the seasoning as necessary. This will vary depending on the size of the head of cabbage.
- Make at least 1 hour before serving. Allow the salad to hang out in the fridge a little while before serving.