I consider the 6″ round cake the golden section of baking…(work with me here). It is the perfect size, feeds a large group, easy to make, and visually appealing. I studied Architecture and can’t help but make comparisons between baking and design/construction.
The most important ingredient of any get-together is the people. I think this cake did a nice job of capturing the spirit of a sophisticated group of ladies who gathered together on a cold Saturday to celebrate the arrival of a delicate new baby girl.
pre-heat the oven to 350 F, and prepare pans
8 oz (1 c.)canola oil
17 oz. sugar (by weight)
3/4 t. salt
11-1/4 oz bread flour (by weight)
1-3/4 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. all spice
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1 lbs. peeled & grated carrots (or zucchini)
- Whip the eggs until light
- slowly add the sugar
- Gradually add the oil
- Sift (or dump in a bowl and whisk) the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Grate the carrots (if you have a Cuisinart this is your best bet)
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and then add the carrots.
- Bake in one 10″ round pan or 2 – 6″ rounds (you’ll have extra, simply bake the rest in a loaf pan and freeze for your next brunch).
Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz., softened cream cheese (1-1/2 blocks at room temp.)
4 oz. unsalted butter, room temp (1 stick)
1 t. vanilla or 1/2 of a vanilla bean
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
- Cream the cream cheese and butter
- Add powdered sugar and whip
- Add extract and whip until fluffy.